Tuesday, November 2, 2010

SHOCK SHOCK SHOCK



Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is a touching tale between two men named Lennie and George. They are trying to struggle their way out of the depression in California and trying to fufill their dream. But a tragic ending ends the final chapter of friendship.

One of the main characters in this novel that I truly admire is Lennie. Lennie is a big innocent man who is mentally and physically challenged. He gives the novel a meaning which makes him as an character a powerful symbol. George who is a small man and has a warm heart is taking care of Lennie. When George tells Lennie to remember something he has a hard time remembering but listens to him carefully if a bad situation were about to happen.

As I watched the movie carefully I was having a hard time paying attention to it. I was pretty shocked who they chose as their characters. I disliked Lennie's character and I especially dislike the movie. The reason I don't favor Lennie in the movie is because he was not as powerful as he was in the novel. He did not sound like he was mentally challenged as I imagined in my head or when Mr. Van Camp was playing Lennie's character. One of the most effective scene was when Candy gave permission to Carlson to put down his dog. To see Candy go through a lot of pain made me imagine what he is going through. The most ineffective scene is at the end of the movie. During the movie George told Lennie,
"If you jus' happen to get in trouble I want you to come right her and hide in the brush."
Hide....in the....brush, Lennie replies slowly.
"Yep, hide in the brush, till I come for you.."
Lennie exclaimed, "Sure I can, George." What caused Lennie to run to the brush is when he tragically killed Curleys wife. George had to get to Lennie before Curley and the other men did. George told Lennie about their dream and instantly killed Lennie as if they were trying to rush through the end. Without enough detail in the movie just like the novel it's not worth watching. I thought the end was going to be the most effective scene but it wasn't.
I'll give out of a possible five stars, Of Mice and Men a 2 and it was playing in theaters at Pen Mar Cinema in 1992.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent detail on all 4 assignments. Writing is polished - good evidence of proofreading. The review could be a bit more creative. Overall, nice effort, Brooke. 46/48

    ReplyDelete